Courses and Programs
We at JLA take the pride to offer the following courses and programs accompanied with our cultural and extra-curricular activities.
- Full-time programs: These are full-semester programs that are approximately 200 hours. They come in four (4) levels.
- Part-time programs: These courses are run on Saturdays and evenings. Usually, they are basic language skills: reading, writing and conversation. We also offer courses in translation and interpretation.
- Intensive Programs: Is a summer immersion program that lasts about 8 weeks (170 hours). It includes language and cultural courses covering many different topics as in the full-time programs, including clubs and excursions, volunteer work and many other learning activities.
- Tailor-made programs: JLA offers tailor-made programs that meet the needs of learners. We can arrange programs and courses to one or more students according to their specific and technical needs. We have done that several times for students from different countries and reached excellent results. These courses can be offered anytime of the year.
- Tutoring: JLA offers one-on–one tutoring in which we use our selected curricula or a designed one according to students’ need and request.
- Cultural Program: Parallel to the language program we have a cultural program that includes Arabic literature, Calligraphy, Archaeology of Jordan, Arabic society, Arabic media, Arabic music, Middle East political issues, Arabic culture (traditions, customs, costumes and Arabic cooking). Advanced programs include language, culture, clubs, and basic courses in translation and interpretation.
- Speakers: We have a regular program of guest speakers. Our speakers are well-known distinguished people in many cultural fields.
- Excursions: Learning Arabic is not restricted to classroom education and weekdays. JLA offers a range of optional full and half-day excursions to nearby archaeological sites, natural treasures of Jordan and cultural activities and events. Your professors, specialized tour guides, or archaeologists will accompany you in your tours. Students will be encouraged to practice their Arabic in these excursions. These excursions can be combined with lessons or private tutoring. Tours are usually arranged in weekends.
- Volunteering: JLA is very keen to find natural cultural opportunities for its students to further immerse in the Arabic culture. Students can strengthen their knowledge of the social life, economic pattern, cultural norms and customs etc, by complementing their language learning experience in an authentic environment far from books and classrooms. We find volunteer work opportunities for our students in the Jordanian institutions. These opportunities are dominated by students skills, commitment, and their backgrounds from one side and the opportunities available in the Jordanian institutions at a given time.
- Clubs: JLA has the following clubs to encourage students using the language and familiarizing themselves with the culture:
- Chatting Club: students will have the chance to sit and chat with a native speaker of Arabic according to a schedule of topics that enforce the topics they studied in classroom. In this club students will have a more spontaneous conversation and can learn from their own mistakes.
- Arabic Games Club: Students consider this fun time. They can play Arabic games such as word scrabble, Arabic words flash cards, backgammon, Mangala, Arabic Karaoke, and many other interesting and educational games.
- Book Club: The book club is arranged by your professors. Your professors will suggest an Arabic book to be read every fortnight. The professor will give a general presentation on the blogs on the JLA website. During the week, students and the professor will discuss online the main themes, the plot, the style of the writer etc. This proved to be a very informative and useful method to our students as they can learn a lot from their professors and from each other.
- Cinema Club: In this club, very selective Arabic films and documentaries are presented to our students at a regular basis.
- Cooking Club: One of our enthusiastic teachers will introduce major Arabic and Jordanian and Middle Eastern dishes to our students. Students will participate in preparing dishes and enjoy the food after that.
In some cases, if the students number in a course or program is three or less, we have the right to change the course from a full/part- time format into tutoring format.
Students are always welcome to suggest a course to the JLA administration, which will be very positively considered. We are always ready to tune our courses to meet our students’ needs so please do not hesitate to give us your comments and suggestions so we can be of help to you.
We also run the following courses according to institutional needs:
Course No. 230: Arabic Calligraphy
Course No. 240: Introduction to Arabic Linguistics
Course No. 244: Arabic Phonetics
Course No. 246: Arabic Morphology
Course No. 248: Arabic Syntax
Course No. 250: General Translation
Course No. 252: Legal Translation
Course No. 262: Journalistic Translation
Course No. 275: Consecutive Translation
Course No. 278: Interpretation
Course No. 280: A General Introduction to Arabic Culture
Course No. 281: Political Issues in the Middle East
Course No. 283: Introduction to Islam
Course No. 286: Arabic Society
Course No. 288: Arabic Music
A detailed description of these courses can be requested from JLA administration.